Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Let the Mission Begin - First Letter Home

2013.4-15 Monday

On the evening of April 10, 2013 Rachel was encourage to write and send a letter home to reassure her family she had arrived safely.  The letter arrived 4-15-2013.  Rachel's flight on April 10th left Phoenix at 7:40 am and arrived in SLC around 10:20 am so my sister Laurel picked her up and took her to lunch before dropping her off at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) at 1:30 pm.  There were sixteen other missionaries on her same flight all reporting to the MTC to prepare to serve as missionaries throughout the world.  I will try to get a picture posted the next time.  (FYI-The posts showing they are from Rachel Ray are actually being posted by Rachel's mother.)

Dear Familia,
     I'm still alive and survived day 1.   It is slightly overwhelming, not going to lie.
     Before I forget, I left my gray jacket in Glen's Tahoe. Oops. (The coat was safely delivered the next day to the MTC by my sister Laurel)
     Day one was good.  Lunch was delicious thanks to Laurel.  (She was taken to the Brick Oven a local restaurant with great Italian food).  The MTC served dinner at 4:15 which was 3:15 AZ time so I wasn't really  hungry.
     Dad, I actually understood a decent amount of Spanish today, couldn't speak it to save my life, but it will come I am sure.
     I learned quite a bit through observation.  I learned I am better at reading people then some people, it is kinda crazy.
     Ya, but it was kind of a blur, honestly it was.  I got a lot of books in Spanish . . . A lot.
     So here is the fun fact.  Elder Kendell Brown from the airport, the Mountain View swimmer, he is in my MTC District.  So is Elder Corbin McCalister (he was my seminary partner at one time).  So there is also another sister, Hermana Villalobos that went to Corona Del Sol High School.  So out of the 9 Elders/Sisters in my district 4 of the 9 of us are from the valley.
     My P-Day (Preparation Day-the day for laundry, letters, errands) will be on Thursday, but I won't get one this week since we just got here.  So this letter is to assure you that I'm not dead.  So I am not dead, not yet anyways.  Well I love you all, hugs & kisses.

Love,
Hermana Ray

P.S.  Dan, do I get one of your cool rings from jewelry?
It is bedtime (said me, never) gotta go.  More next time . . . Oh, my companion is Hermana Newbold from Riverton, UT.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment