Friday, February 14, 2014

2-10-14

Hola Familia!

Quincy is treating me really well. it is giving me all sorts of new experiences.. Like shoveling snow. It looks like a winter wonderland. It was tons of snow, but it is to me! I am actually kind of grateful that it actually snowed because the 2 days before were really cold.

Our week started out a little rough because Sam isn't going to get baptized because her parents aren't going to let her. I just know that she will be strong enough that when she has the option and the choice she will follow her Savior Jesus Christ. We can tell that it has already helped her a lot in her life and she has received answers to her prayers. I am amazed at the faith of my new companion as we left Sam's house. I was upset, and I am sure she was to, and she just says, "Well Sister Ray, (Which she says my name in this really funny accent in a way that I wish you all could here) I guess this isn't Sam's time. but she will be strong and join the Church and bring her family" that may not be word for word, but you get the point, she has this amazing optimism about her.

On another good note, we are teaching a family that is super amazing right now. Antonio and Armanda and their 4 year old daughter Destiny. She reminds me of Emma because she is super smart and super funny. The other day we were talking about the ten commandments and I asked her if she knew what honor thy father and thy mother meant. she said no and then promptly stood a few feet in front of my face and waited for an explanation. It was super funny. The family is so ready to come unto Christ. They talked to us the other day about how they had found Jesus and they had found a church. It was a really cool story of how they started talking to the missionaries. The other sisters here were helping set up for a wedding reception and Antonio came into the church and asked when the services were. He said he came on Saturday the week before but that there was nobody there. They told him and talked to him for a little bit and they came to church the next week and started talking to the missionaries! I love it when other people have a desire to learn and you can see the flame of their faith growing, it is the reason we missionaries are out here!

This week we also had an exact answer to our prayers! I have never received an answer that was that clear and that immediate! We got a referral from Debbie Gilbert in Royal City, but she said sisters I am sorry but all I have is her name, I know a little about her, but her phone number doesn't work and I don't know her address, but you need to find her. She needs the gospel. So we didn't know where to start. All we knew about her was her name and that her brother had died a few years back. So Sis. Webley (The sweet lady that we live with, who knows everyone because she has lived here for a long time.) gave us the idea to look up an address in the phone book. We went to look for it and right before we got out of the car, we said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father to help us find her, and that if this wasn't her house, that we could put together the pieces and find her. Well, she didn't live there, but they gave us another clue to where they may live. As we got to this place, it was looking slim that we would ever find it. We finally were at the point of giving up and instead of walking the same way we came we went out to the main road. as we got past like 3 trailers, I turn and see a memorial for her brother... I couldn't believe my eyes. We didn't even think we were in the right place! God answered our prayers. She wasn't home, but God helped us and answered our prayers. I don't know what the end to this story is, but that night I knew that God loved me and this Woman enough to answer our prayers. It was such a faith building experience.

Other than that we had some other good experiences, some lessons and faith building experience that show us God is looking out for us. We also have a few other potential people to teach and They have desires to learn. Questions are one of the best things ever. I love that we are encouraged to learn for ourselves. I don't want anyone to believe me just because I say something, but I want them to get into the Book of Mormon and down on their knees, because that is how I learned and really fortified my testimony in Jesus Christ that has withstood many experiences.

This week we also had another learning experience that I won't forget, we were out knocking doors and it was like 7 degrees outside, and we knocked on a door and the man let us in. As we talked he said he loved to read about religion and that he had grown up around members of the Latter Day Saint faith. We also found out he was the preacher of one of the churches here in Quincy. Looking back on it I thought, "this must be what Joseph Smith felt like, no wonder he was so confused" He was honestly curious about some of what we believed but he asked us how we could honestly believe that the Book of Mormon was true. At that point I could tell that his heart wasn't open to the spirit on that subject but then he asked us about being children of God and as we opened our mouths and testified the Spirit was there and bearing witness to his heart, and that was quite possibly all that was meant for us to do. It was interesting as my companion was talking about the difference when the Spirit was there and we had a good conversation on the Spirit of contention and how when we have that Spirit we won't be able to learn by the Spirit. I am so appreciative of the fact that I know that I am a child of God and that he loves me and has a plan for me to return to him.

I love you all and I love hearing of your missionary experiences. Thank you for sharing them with me! Isn't being a missionary and a instrument in God's hands just the best? I certainly think so! Have a great week and look for opportunities to Open your Mouth and to serve other people, that is the Lord's way of doing things, and when we are able to do things in the Lord's way it has showed him that we humble ourselves.

Hermana Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment